One of the most frequent questions I get from viewers is how to stay on track with your fitness and health goals.
With the influence of friends, family, co-workers and loved ones who may not be trekking the same wellness path, it can often feel overwhelming sticking to your food or exercise commitments.
Have you set a goal to wake up early each morning for a power walk or jog, but your partner pleads with you to hit the snooze button and come back to bed? Maybe you want to start getting outdoors more, like hiking as a social activity, but you’re friends would rather binge watch Netflix originals.
There’s also the big glaring dilemma of temptation foods around every corner. Whether you’re simply cruising the grocery store aisles, ordering take out with your sweet heart or meeting friends for coffee at a café, there are temptations of old eating habits at every turn.
How do you stay resilient to powerful cravings? What do you do about that cookie taunting you from behind the display case? Here are a few tips and tricks to navigate a world of obstacles and distractions to staying on track...
1. Write Commitments To Yourself
So you’re tired of feeling run down, low on energy and dissatisfied with your physique? The first step to transforming your life and well being is making the commitment to cultivate and invest time in more health promoting practices. This will take shape differently for all of us, so take time to write out your goals.
Where do you want to start? Perhaps you want to replace your old breakfast routine with a daily fruit smoothie or fresh and colorful fruit salad. Or maybe you’re ready to follow through with that 30-day yoga challenge you’ve been talking about doing with your girlfriends for months now.
Whatever the game-changing habit you’re striving to embrace... Write it down and put it somewhere you will revisit daily. Leave a sticky note on your bathroom mirror telling you to go for a 15-minute jog. Or set a daily alarm on your phone when its time for your afternoon salad.
Consider journaling your daily choices - From how you got moving that day and what you fueled your body with, so you can see your overall progression overtime. Be your best coach and cheerleader as you author your inspiring and transformative health journey!
Examples of fitness goals to set for yourself:
- Register for a 5K race and pick a work out regime that supports your preparation for race day!
- Commit to a 30-day yoga challenge. Bonus points if you get a friend or partner to join you in it!
- Download an exercise app on your phone and do a body weight workout every day for 21 days. They say it takes 21 days to form a habit. Start today!
Examples of diet goals to set for yourself:
- Eat Raw 'till 4pm for a week and access the difference in your energy levels, quality of life and overall well-being. If you’re feeling great, stick to it! Check out my FREE Raw Vegan Recipe Guide to get you started!
- Have at least one fruit smoothie every day for a month
- Replace your lunch with fresh, green salads for at least 21 days and see how you feel
- Take a 21-day vegan challenge if you haven’t explored the health benefits of a plant-based diet. Try my “Beginner’s Guide to Veganism” program for extensive support and resources.
2. Train Your Sweet Tooth and Get Off the Couch
The recipe for discipline and motivation is to go out and get it. Unfortunately, motivation isn’t something that comes along the longer you wait for it. To the contrary, its something you often need to wrestle with while your desire to sleep in all weekend and lay on the couch comes nagging at your shoulder.
You need to fight with your apathy and throw all excuses out the window. I know… this might not be what you want to hear. But know it’s the tough love truth you need to hear. I promise, it gets easier as you build positive habits, start seeing desirable results and build more energy.
So when that craving for sweets comes knocking at your door after a long stressful day, don’t reach for that tub of chocolate chip cookie dough, but satisfy your need for something delectable with freshly cut pineapple or a juicy mango.
Lacking the drive to get up and hit the gym? Engage your inner life coach, roll out of bed and lace up your shoes. No one will do it for you but yourself. It may feel like an uphill battle at first, but the more consistently you choose to honor your commitments and goals, the better you’ll feel and the easier it’ll become.
Tips to avoid health-decreasing foods:
- Keep your fridge and pantry well stocked with healthy “treats” such as fresh and dried fruit to satisfy those uprisings of sweet cravings. Train your mind to reach for the healthy treat. The more you do this, the more natural it will become.
- Make a list of what foods you DO want to consume that support your optimal health goals. Bring this list with you to the grocery store or keep it written in your phone so when purchasing groceries or dining out you won’t choose food items that are NOT on your health-approved list
- When struggling with food cravings that are not aligned with your goals ask yourself, “Is this the best way to honor myself?” Remind yourself that your daily choices impact your quality of life and you are worthy of giving yourself the best fuel, respect and treatment.
Tips to hold yourself accountable to your fitness plan:
- Get yourself a workout buddy! Ask a friend, family member, co-worker or loved one to join you at the gym, a weekly fitness class or whatever movement activity excites you most. If the temptation to bail surfaces its ugly head, the desire to not leave your pal hanging will give you the strength to power through.
- Sign up for a month long fitness program, either at your local gym, with an app or an online program. Many 30-day programs have a natural progression from beginner to intermediate, so you’ll become stronger and better conditioned as its intensity increases. Interested in learning to lift? Sign up for the Raw Alignment “Learn to Lift” program and build yourself some lean muscle!
3. Reach Out to Others for Support
Social support is vital in maintaining and achieving our wellness goals. Does your boyfriend say he supports your healthy food habits, yet comes home most nights with a two for one pizza special and ice cream? Have you been eating clean, wholesome meals when you prepare them for yourself, but feel tempted when dining out with friends who may not share a similar meal plan?
Be honest with your loved ones and communicate how you can be best supported in your pursuit of optimal health.
While you aren’t trying to restrict or control the food choices and exercise of those in your life, it is more than acceptable to request that shared meal times be able to cater to multiple needs of a mixed party and thankfully, the healthier option won’t hurt anyone ;) Your requests and clear spoken needs may even inspire the people in your life to make healthier choices for themselves. With your encouragement and support they can feel inspired to transform their life too.
Support is not limited to the immediate people in your home, social or work life.
There’s an abundance of like-minded individuals online walking alongside you in their unique and perhaps similar health journeys willing to extend support, resources, tips and advice and unlimited encouragement with just a few clicks! Some of my greatness sources of motivation and inspiration have been witnessing the transformations of others’ I’ve only interacted with online!
Tips to receive support:
- When dining out with coworkers, friends or family do your research ahead of time and find an establishment that offers wide and varied options that cater to everyone’s palette.
- If your partner or someone you have shared meals with frequently returns home with tempting food items to share that you are trying to avoid,, explain that you are trying to remove certain foods from your diet and formulate a list of take out options that you can both agree on. Or offer to prepare a healthy meal, such as a colorful vegetable stir-fry or vegan bean tacos as a substitute. Not only will you save money by preparing meals at home, but you can also spend quality time creating culinary masterpieces in the kitchen.
- Join the Raw Alignment Community with over 15,000 like-minded individuals!
Sending endless love and support your way :)